Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ganesh Chaturthi Celebrations – It’s meaning to me


Today is the fourth day (Chaturthi) of the first half (Shukla paksh) of Bhadrapad month as per the Hindu calendar. This is day of Ganesha or Ganapati and celebrated with great devotion in Maharashtra and rest of the country.

Literally, every household is a picture of devotion, excitement, energy and supreme happiness. I have friends who tell me that they feel so energetic and fresh in spite of being on their feet the day long and sleeping so little. They also feel the vacuum and loss of energy when the Lord departs at the end of ten days of festivity.

I have always marveled at this total change in the atmosphere for ten days. Maybe, I should also add the twenty days preceding this day too.

Every year, we go to the GSB – Wadala Math for our poojas and this year is no different. I pondered on what Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations meant to me. This led me to a fascinating journey inwards, almost like meditation and I felt blessed at the end of it. Let me share the quintessence of what I understood.


Life is a gift from the divine and we have come here to achieve something in our lives. It is up to us to find our true calling and it is our duty to make a difference where it is required.

That - this divine force is always by our side and we are blessed and taken care of. In fact, I am told that all our needs have been taken care of, some even before we have realized them as our need.

That – we are solely responsible and have that infinite power to write our own destiny.

That – festivals are an occasion to express our undying gratitude for all blessings in our life and also an occasion to celebrate life itself.

At the end of this, I was in total awe, experienced complete devotion and absolute surrender and bliss.

We bow down at the divine feet of Lord Ganesha and seek His Grace in all aspects of our life.

May each one of you have a great festival ahead. Let us all thank Lord Ganesha for all the blessings he has bestowed on us and our family members.

9 comments:

Vinod_Sharma said...

Wish you great festivities too Mavin and may Ganesh always shower his blessings on you an your family.

Anonymous said...

mavin, can you please tell what actually GAnesha is worshiped for? What are his qualities that make people love him so much? thanks!
axinia

Gopinath Mavinkurve said...

Mavin, Wish you and all at home a very Happy Ganesh festival. I read a very nice article in TOI about the significance and meaning of the Ganesha Idol, which I would like to share with you and your readers. Please click on the link below:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Opinion/The_image_of_Ganesha_and_its_meaning/articleshow/3437331.cms?in_showcase

Krishnan said...

Mavin, hope you celebrated Ganesh Chathurthi nicely.
Thanks Gopinath for TOI article link.

Anonymous said...

"..we have come here to achieve something in our lives"

Hey Mavin this reminded me of this:
http://www.ugkrishnamurti.org/ug/quotes_and_photos/album01/page02.html


And Happy Ganesh Chaturti.

Mavin said...

Vinod and Krish - Thank you and may the future have great things in store for you.

Thanks Gopi - Wish everyone at home and thanks for the link.

Axinia - I will send you further details about Lord Ganesha and the devotion that people have for him.

Swaps - Thank you for the link. Infact, I have never read U G Krishnamurthy as yet. Will go through the site.

Anonymous said...

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi Mavin :) I miss the festivities!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mavin. Came to wish you a very happy ganesh chaturthi. It is indeed wonderful to come across a devotee like you. Unfortunately I am not one, although I grew up in a very religious atmosphere. I guess it had the opposite effect on me.

Mavin said...

Priyank - Thanks for the wishes and keep those lovely posts coming

Nita - Wishing you and all members of your family. My take is slightly different. We are all devotees in one way or the other.